pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Natural looking manicure

Nails are an important part of a polished look and very important to me. My dad cares very little about beauty and makeup but always told me it’s the one thing he always notices.  That said, I’m unwilling to spend hours taking care of them. I have written about how I like to buff them but there’s a couple more tricks to it. My goals for beautiful nails are: good shape, clean whites, healthy cuticles and a hint of shine.

Good shape – I like to see nails rather short, with the white edges under 1/10 of an inch (3mm or so for the metric system fans). Find a good proportion to the size of your nail, don’t try to compensate a short nail with an over elongated edge. While there are different nail trends every season – square! Claw shaped! Oval! Squoval! – I have come to realize that my favorite is the one that follows the natural shape of the nail, generally the same as the moon (the lighter semi circle at the base of your nail). Manicurists call it round, but it really depends on the shape of your nail.

File them while they’re dry so they’re less likely break. You don’t need to use those old fashioned grainy paper files that file huge bits at a time. Look for fine grain files at your drugstore and you’ll see that there is a bigger selection than you probably knew of, allowing for more precise filing and less errors.

Clean white edges – 2 words: nail brush. Ok, 1 additional word: regularly. : ) If you notice a little yellowing, you can also slice open a lemon and run your fingernails through the flesh. Keep them there a few minutes (or alternatively, soak them in fresh squeezed lemon juice) to naturally whiten them.

Healthy cuticles – this aspect contributes greatly to beautiful nails and is the hardest one to achieve. Try to keep your hands hydrated, rub a cuticle oil or cream often – I like Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream – and try wearing rubber gloves when doing chores around the house. Avoid cutting your cuticles and try to push them with an orange wood stick or your nails after a shower or bath. Cut only the ones that are sticking out on the sides. I find that leaving my cuticles alone is the best way to keep them healthy and looking neat.

Hint of shine – this brings us back to the buffing post I shared earlier.

Enjoy your beautiful and carefree manicure!