pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Er... no makeup toes?


Ah, we finally come to the exception that confirms the rule! I love a beautiful pedicure and can’t imagine going the no makeup way on my toes. Depending on the time of the year and my mood, I pick from 3 different types of nail polish: brights, darks and neutrals.

Brights: when it’s hot outside my toes scream for brights. I love a dazzling red like Essie’s Lollipop. This type of highly pigmented colors requires a base coat and extra care upon removal (yep, go ahead and do a second round with a new cotton pad drenched in nail polish remover so that your cuticles regain their natural color…). While I love these colors they’re higher maintenance than I’d like so I tend to alternate with easier to apply and longer lasting neutrals.

Darks: so chic, so edgy, such great contrast! While I love a classic burgundy, these past months I’ve been drawn to dark browns and greys. My recent discovery and current favorite is Sally Hanson’s Tyin’ the Knot! The color is a shimmering warm pewter that goes with everything and lasts forever.

Neutrals: thought the above categories are great, neutrals remain my favorites. I love effortless metallics with a hint of shimmer that don’t require base or top coats, brush on evenly and look great with just one coat if I’m in a hurry. They also come clean with just one swipe of nail polish remover. Truly easy peasy!

3 neutral favorites:
Gold/bronzeSally Hansen Salon Complete Manicure in Gilty Pleasure. Beautiful, understated color that looks great with olive skin. Recurrently admired on my toes, I’ve started giving bottles of this polish away to family and friends.

Silver Milani Nail Lacquer in Ms. Milani. It is a gorgeous color described at the Milani website as “chromed silver gold”. If that doesn’t make you want to see it on your toes, check for a pulse. : ) It’s warm, flattering and easy to wear. It goes with both my gold sandals and my grey peep toes, and that’s a feat!

White – Borghese Nail Lacquer Vernis in Luna Pearl. I absolutely love this color but it’s apparently no longer available for sale (except on eBay, where you can find just about anything if you search carefully enough). I tried many pearly whites until I found the right one, with just enough warmth mixed in. It was the nail polish I wore on my toes at my wedding! A similar shade would be Essie’s Show Me The Ring (which I guess would have been even more appropriate at a wedding). I love how clean and distinguished it looks on my toes.