pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The right makeup for a perfect Drivers License picture

Since I recently had my picture taken for my Drivers License I didn’t think I had to worry when I ran to the DMV this morning to update some information. Well… I learned two important lessons:

1. Always be prepared (I’ve known that one for a while but forgot it this morning
2. DMV’s always take a new picture if you update your license in person at the office

Aaaaaarrrggghhh! My last picture was cute! Today my hair was wet in a pony tail and the only thing I had on my face was sunscreen! I’ll need to see the real deal to assess how bad it was, but I think there will be a next time real soon. Here’s what I recommend that you do when your turn comes.

After moisturizing, apply the level of foundation that is right for your skin right now – since I currently have no blemishes and it’s summer, for me it would’ve been tinted moisturizer. Follow it with concealer. Be sure to get your eyelids and inner corners of the eyes, under eye circles, around your nose and anywhere where you still see a little redness or imperfections.

While I would say that creating beautiful skin is the most important step in the regular no-makeup look, it’s less important for a picture at the DMV because the harsh flash erases a lot of flaws. That said, it also erases your features and shows a disproportionate amount of shine so focus on the next steps!

Add cream blush to the apples of your cheeks and blend. Consider making it a little more noticeable than usual to counteract the flash, which will wash you out.

Smudge brown eyeliner into your top lashes and add as many coats of mascara as you’d like for defined eyes. A little bit of highlighter in the inner corners will help you look awake.

Apply a natural looking lip stain that is darker than your lip shade – this is not the time for beige nudes – and add lip balm or a little neutral gloss if you like shiny lips in a picture.

You should look really great right about now! Let’s finish it off with 2 tricks. First, take a large soft brush and use it to pick up some pressed powder bronzer. Brush it all around the edges of your face – your jaw, ears, around the hairline and a little under the cheekbones. It’s a quick contouring to make you look slimmer and bring attention to the center of your face. Blend with a tissue to make sure there are no hard lines (which would look horrible in your pic!). Then take the same brush, dip it in a little loose powder and go over your t-zone to minimize shine. You need all the help you can get with that flash! Consider bringing blotting paper and using it just before your close-up.

Last but not least, consider your choice of outfit. Sometimes the pictures are cut at your neck, but sometimes your top will show. Remember that the background is turquoise blue and avoid any colors that clash. My favorite style remains a classic shape, like a button down or a top that shows my collarbone, like a boatneck cut, in a bright white.

The scoop neck bejeweled beige t-shirt I was wearing today, not so much… *sigh*